PINK IS FOR KALLI! This blog will probably be about baby Kalli for a while so we've decided to change the theme :) You can read about our wedding at http://startingourforever.blogspot.com

Monday, September 25, 2006

Glucose Challenge

This past weekend has been a pretty busy one. We woke up early saturday morning and went to medical city for my 100g glucose challenge. It's a kind of blood test for diabetes. I actually already took a similar test before, the 50g challenge, wherein they made me drink a bottle of liquid that tasted like orange soda. I had to finish the bottle in 5 minutes (that wasn't easy) then fast for an hour before they took my blood sample.

I wasn't worried about the result that time since I was pretty confident my sugar was low. After all, I haven't been eating much and I wasn't even gaining weight. So it was really a surprise that the result showed my blood sugar was high and I was at the threshold. Well I guess I shouldn't have been surprised given my luck throughout my pregnancy :( Spotting, gallstones, vomiting -- did you know that my OB's assistant told me I'm their longest-running "suka" girl (7 months and still vomiting)?! So yeah, I shouldn't have expected my sugar to be normal. Haaay...

Anyhoo, I had to take the 100g challenge last saturday, and it wasn't as simple as the 50g. First, I had to fast for 8-hours prior to the test. I had dinner at around 8pm friday night, then ate 2 bananas around 11pm so as not to overfast. We planned to be at the hospital at 8am but got there at 9:30 instead due to traffic and bad sleeping habits. We had to wait in line for another hour at the ambulatory, and I must say I was already pretty hungry then. When it was my turn, they took my blood sample and made me drink a bottle of the orange-soda-like liquid again. I was already feeling nauseous and twice I had to fight the urge to throw-up. Then we had to wait 3 hours more, each hour a blood sample was taken so I still couldn't eat. By the end of it, I was really feeling weak and groggy that a part of me believed they took too much blood sample and I had already ran out of blood! Of course it had probably more to do with hunger and the fact that I slept past 2am the night before and woke-up at 7am. Anyhoo, we'll know the result of the test next week during my check-up.

We had lunch at Pancake House around 2pm. Afterwards, Leo drove me to Eastwood to catch up on my sleep while he went to his badminton tryouts in Ortigas. When he returned, we did a little shopping at Robinsons just below our building, and I cooked us dinner. It felt nice cooking in my own kitchen again. I never thought before that I'd be the cooking type, but I like it :) Then we cuddled on our sofa and watched Gundam Seed Destiny on TV.

So that was my blow-by-blow saturday. Hmmm, looks like I've already written a lot and my Sunday story will have to wait.

Until next post!

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home